Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just a little addition to my 1st day of Thanksgiving

Well after today I am more grateful then ever for the life I have. Especially for my parents and for the background I come from. I teach at a title 1 school...so the majority of my kids come from pretty poor households or have spanish speaking parents or only one parent. I have one little boy who can't read in 2nd grade and has recently started having behavior issues. As I met with his parents today...they both started crying and told me that they are going through a divorce and that their son is taking it really hard. It broke my heart...I didn't realize how much I love my students until I started crying tonight because I feel so bad for this little boy and I just want to give him a big hug and tell him that things will be ok, but you know truthfully they probably won't because his dad is moving out and his mom knows almost no English. I wanted to slap the parents and tell them that he was already struggling because they don't know English and now they're only making his life harder so pull it together and make it work for the kids.

It's not fair...I don't understand why some kids have to deal with that much when they're young! He really doesn't have a lot of chance of succeeding in life and it's all because of who he got for parents. I understand that they're doing the best they can and I really don't blame them (well at least not too much) but it breaks my heart and I hope that somehow I can make this little boys life a little better.

Anyways back to the point of this blog...I am so grateful for the background that I grew up in and for parents who did everything they could to make my life easier...and thank you God for blessing me and trusting me with a better situation than a lot of kids get born into.

No comments: